I’ve ranted enough about how much fun this project has been – time to take a look at what the numbers say. We’ve hosted a total of 16 events thus far since our inaugural stop in Occidental back in late July. During those 16 events, we have:
• Visited 12 different towns (though I suspect Santa Rosa may have achieved ‘city’ status a while back)
• Served 193 children, including 60 who are ages 0 – 5
• Served 531 adults, including 184 who are ages 55 and up
• Given away 1,254 children’s books
• Given away 1,554 books for adult readers
• Told lots of total strangers that we love them
As you can see, adults are taking an average of about three books each (we don’t impose a limit), and kids are helping themselves to about six books each. Though the kid’s book average is a bit misleading because some adults take kids books too. I’m not sure what the numbers really mean except that we are having a ton of fun. Oh wait, we already knew that. Perhaps we should be measuring smiles per hour?
The grand totals are: 2,808 books given away to 724 people. And we’re just getting started! Hey, anyone have a waterproof cargo bin we can use for the winter?